Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Stephenie Meyer

I've just finished "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. What a story! I can't remember now why I bought it. I think I must have seen a review that praised it somewhere. Maybe on Critique Circle but this book is a real find. The interesting thing is that it's written for YA. It deals with protagonists in high school so I was a little wary of whether I'd find it interesting. But I did.
The cover is sensational. Simple and elegant as are the others in the series. Very striking. The cover alone would have made me pick it up to read the blurb.
Well, the story is about 17 year old Bella who goes to live with her father in the wettest place in the USA - in Washington State. She thinks life in the small town will be dull. Of course it isn't. She quickly becomes popular at school except with Edward Cullen. Its not giving anything away to say that Edward and his family are vampires. Edward is terrified by his attraction to Bella and so a love story is born. I think any romantic teenager or would be teenager like me - will love it.

It brought out the issue again to me of cover art, though. Until a week ago I had never read Jodi Picoult -I think that's how it's spelt. The covers feature dreamy looking child-like women and I presumed the stories were about children with terrible backgrounds - abuse etc. The one I read is called 'Mercy' and nothing like the cover led me to believe. From reviews I've read, this book is not so popular with her faithful fans but I'm glad I read it and sad that the covers put me off reading her before.

5 comments:

Celular said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laurie said...

Sorry for the deleted comment. We were spammed. *sigh* I hate to put controls on the blog, but I will if this starts happening with annoying frequency.

Laurie said...

Wow, that sounds like a great read, Barbara. I don't read YA as a rule, but this one sounds intriguing. May have to add it to my "Leanding Tower of TBRs."

Flick said...

It really is worth reading. I've read three YA stories recently and the tone of each of them has been so different. Darren Shan writes horror - mutilated parents and siblings and blood and gore. Great little stories for blood thirsty youths! But Stephenie's was more adult than YA. It was only that there was no sex as such, and the MCs were teenagers (sort of!) that made it a YA book. I've read a couple of reviews that hated it and I wonder what they were looking for that wasn't there. The vampire was fabulously well drawn. The heroine one anyone would identify with. I'd like the read the others in the series but I almost wish this had been a stand alone. It was one that stayed with me!

Arlene said...

Thanks for sharing, Barbara, I added Twlight to my need to read list. A list I love to have as long as possible. And this one sounds like some indepth characters, also a powerful hook for me.