Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bullying

It seems to me that every day in the papers there's an article about bullying and people suing schools years later because they were bullied and the school did nothing. Parents are quick to rail if their child is picked on. It makes me wonder if its worse now that it was when I was at school or just that perceptions suggest that. I was bullied because I was tall. 5' 10 and three quarter inches. I was called all sorts of names and spent many nights crying into my pillow. It cut me off from any sort of relationship with boys at school because they were all smaller than me. Being the tallest girl in school aged 12 was no fun. But it made me a writer. In my stories I could be the heroine, the one that got the guy, that saved the day and I created a world where I could be happy. I read voraciously - in those days the library got shirty if you took a book back the same day because they weren't prepared to sort through the tickets manually. No problem now the computer has taken over. I read maybe 10 books a week all through my teens. The boys in the books never called me names. They were the ones I fell in love with. And that's why I fall in love with every hero I create. My favourite is Charlie - a popstar turning film star who has so many problems he tries to kill himself. He's just begging to be saved by my heroine. I just need to find a publisher who agrees with me.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

A fantastic story, Barbara. I rarely cry at movie endings, and never when I read. Until I read that story. I bawled like a baby. What a wonderful, emotionally charged story.

Laurie said...

Oh, I so agree. Charlie was one of the most fascinating characters I'd come across in print. Barbara really pulled off a character that is so deeply flawed, and yet so redeemable as a human being. The story is all about the price of fame, the terrible vices of modern culture, and about finding that special (equally flawed) someone who can pull him back down to earth again.

I had similar experiences to Barbara in school, always being the tallest in class, etc. and in addition, I grew up in such a remote area that my nearest friends lived over a mile away. A long way to walk as a kid. So I spent a lot of time with books... and writing my own.

Arlene said...

Charlie...the perfect, gorgous hunk, yet so flawed he goes for what he expects to be a one way swim. But then he sets eyes on the exceptional, lovely damsel, even more flawed than him. Strangers will touch many hearts, some day, I've no doubt.

Barbara, your youth, all your life, has made you one fascinating person which reflects in the detailed, heart wrenching worlds you've created. Its been such an honor, and an trememdous fun ride to learn from you.

Looking up to you, smile, has been the delight of a measly 5'4" person with similar roots into introversion.
Short attacks: when ones feet sink through the floor into the ground, below the mantle, outer core, inner core, into the tenth layer which is otherwise known as highschool.
It is pretty cool though, there's much attention on bullying behavior and maybe there's hope for a better future. Once the kid passes the metal detectors, at least they arent as bored. Many more programs, more in-tuned teachers, has to be a good thing.