Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Monday, November 19, 2007

It's Monday

Hey the weekend is over and it's time to get back to work in more ways than one. I've finished the rough of "An Alien's Guide to Abducting a Bride", did a little happy dance, and put it away for the weekend.

Yup, I took the weekend off from writing, and chatted online with my buddies. Checked out some Nano stories, and I have to tell you, some of the stuff they are cooking up is fantastic.
I read some books, took my kid to get new shoes and just kicked back and tried to clear the mind to work on my least favorite thing. The rewrite.

Speaking of books. I've got a copy of "The Ice People" in my hands. Thanks Laurie. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and was thinking, wow this was written in the 70's and the idea is just as fresh today as it was then. There are books you just sit back, read and enjoy. Then there are books that really make you think. This one makes you ponder the good and the dark side of human nature. I can understand why Laurie said this one really stuck with her...

Then of course, I have to mention that I read Susan Grant's book "Contact". Loved this story. I think her knowledge and love of flying really shines in this story. It adds realism and punch to Science Fiction Romance, that is often sadly lacking in many books I've read lately. This story didn't lack a bit. Loved it.

Then I'm half-way through Maggie Shayne's book "Eternal Love." A story that starts in the time of the Salem Witch trials and comes forward. It's a story about eternal love. The book is broken in two. The first half is a story about Raven, a witch and her love for a man she can't have. From the moment they meet, they can not stay apart. Fate separates them and brings them together, over and over... Ending in the death of her love, Duncan, who dies trying to save her when the residents of Sanctuary accuse her of witchcraft and throw her over a cliff.
300 years pass, and she sees him again, just as she remembers, but much to her dismay, he does not remember her. To makes matters worse, the man that tried to kill her twice, has also come back to Sanctuary, as the father of her love.
This has been a very engaging read. I'll keep you posted on the rest.

Read Sherriyln Kenyon's "Upon a Midnight Clear".
For me it seemed like a lot of the same thing she has written lately. I'd love to see something different, a story that doesn't follow the same plot line as her previous three. Sorry Sherrilyn. I love your writing, but I feel like the last three books I've read by you, have been the same thing. I want something else. Please.

Last but not least, I've been planning on telling you about Kathleen Nance's book "Phoenix Unrisen," but that will be for another day. I'd really like to take my time with this one. Lots of thoughts on this story...

Have a great start to your week, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

3 comments:

Flick said...

It's Monday and I'mmmmmmm Baaaaaaaackkk. Jetlagged and terrible earache but home safe and sound. Plane taxiied for 40 nminutes at Chicago. Pilot actually said - I bet you're thinking we're going to taxi all the way to Manchester. There was a wind problem and we had to go to a different runway. Then had to circle a few times over the UK because we missed our arrival slot. Home to a house devasted by an untidy son. It was beautiful when I left. I had to clean the kitchen floor before I unpacked and I am NOT anally retentive. A day to recuperate and writing will begin again.

Dawn said...

Well hello there.
Don't you just love coming home to a mess the children have created???
Oooooh that makes me grumpy when they do that.

Anyway, glad to see you back and that you had a safe flight.

Laurie said...

Yea, Flick. Glad you made it home safely. It sounds like there were a lot of delays around the country yesterday. Sorry to hear you came home to a mess. That's not fun.