Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Monday, January 28, 2008

Decluttering

How much stuff do we really need? I look around my home and wonder how much I could get rid of without missing it. They say that if you haven't used or looked at a possession for 6 months - then it can go. Husband is out the door then! (Don't mean it, really) I have an attic of toys saved just in case my kids ever have kids - since neither of them are even married not going to be soon, jigsaws I have loved - will I ever do them again, ski gear ( well that would be OK but the four sets of old style skis and five assorted ski poles??) a trumpet (son never did get the hang of it) violin (I never got the hang of it - just as I mastered using all the strings I found you had to move your hand up and down the neck too) etc etc. In the house it's just as bad - DVDs , videos we'll never watch. Ornaments that mean nothing. Clothes that haven't been worn for years let alone 6 months. A room with a pile of daughter's possessions even though she hasn't lived at home for a long while. Ditto with son. Amps, guitar leads, girlie magazines (oops wasn't supposed to find those) and in the bathroom a million skin care and hair products - all part used and deserted. Everything could go, but for one thing. Well, it's more than one thing. My books. Hundreds of them. Ok, I admit it, thousands. I'm anal enough to have them sorted alphabetically and by genre - well upstairs at least. The romances are tucked away in an upstairs room, the thrillers and suspense and factual ones are downstairs. If I like a book, I can't part with it. I'm physically incapable of letting it go. Will I read it again? Possibly not but I have to keep it. If I get rid of all that other clutter, it will leave me more room for my books. Ooh, great idea. Now, what can I get rid of first?

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Just took 3 grocery bags of books to the used book store. Those were only about a quarter of what I've got. I couldn't part with the others...

Laurie said...

Ah yes, I'm also in serious need of a general offensive attack on clutter.

But first I have a synopsis to finish, and a query to write, and critiques to do, and...oh yes, major family issues to deal with.

And so it goes.

I am going to get organized in 2008! I made it one of my resolutions. ::: counts number of months remaining on fingers :::

Flick said...

I can't believe you're not organised Laurie!! I somehow see everything neat around you. Why do I picture Dawn in mad chaos??? Only teasing.

Dawn said...

LOL. Good possiblity there, Flick. He he. If my head weren't attached I'm sure I'd file it somewhere safe and forget where that was...