Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Thursday, January 17, 2008

What are you reading???

I've been to Borders again. The trip resulted in several books. Of course you all know I have the Diana Palmer book, with the great cover. "The Morcai Battalion." Turning into an interesting read.

Yes! Another Donna Kauffman book. "The Black Sheep and the Hidden Beauty." I don't need to tell you how much I like her work. I was extremely pleased to see it and had to add it to the pile. (near the top) Whoo Hoo.

I got a J.R. Ward book, "Lover Revealed." The edginess of these stories have really grown on me. The names as Flick mentioned, are a little off the wall, but I don't seem to notice anymore.

Yes, Lynn Kurland. Her books are sweet and great reads for down time. Her books would get a "G" rating in the movies. So if you're looking for smoking hot, down and dirty sex, these books are not for you. I like them, as sometimes its nice to read something just for a sweet love story, which all of her books are.

"Divine Evil." Nora Roberts. So far a very good book. I'm about half-way into this one. It's about the occult, murder and small towns. Enjoying this one, immensely. I've also got her book, "Blood Brothers."

Then there's Melanie Jackson, "Divine Night." I've read one of her others and though the switch to French in the text and back to English over and over was annoying, I liked the characters. She has compelling characters that are not necessarily nice people. I like that a lot. If you can tolerate the occasional shift in dialect, these are not half bad...

Then there are the books (required reading) for my black belt. Since I've got less than a year, I better get started with them. Not only am I required to read through them, I have to work through them and yes, share them. They are: "Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Cronic Pain." (I say just divorce his ass.) "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." Yeah, I've heard great stuff about this one. Perhaps this would be a good one for a woman that needs a little focus. And here's a big one "The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is The Key to High Preformance and Personal Renewal." Say that fast three times backwards. I dare you...

I'll let you know how they are. *Crosses heart* If I start quoting the Dali Lama and Tony Robbins, you know what happened. Peace.

4 comments:

Flick said...

Well I wrote a long reply here and lost it! Donna kauffman - I read the other Black sheep book and wasn't ever so keen but I've bought another of hers to try. I'll re read the first - it might have been me on an off day!!
JR Ward - oooh. I am so addicted to her now. Even with the stupid names. I found a funny vampire book by Erin mcCarthy - Bit the Jackpot. Very good. made me laugh out loud in the way Mary Janice Davidson often does.
I also bought - Susan Elizabeth Phillips - Natural Born Charmer - hardback but reduced at Borders. The paperback was supposed to be out in Jan but someone clealry changed their mind as the relase date is now the summer. I can't wait that long and at $5.99 it was a bargain. I don't know whether any of you have read her but she is one of my favourite romance writers. SOOO FUNNY!! Her books are currently being reissued with much more modern covers. Together with Jenny Crusie - they always cheer me up on a down day. Except for the last one Jenny wrote with a guy called Mayer - Don't Look Down - I think it was - I couldn't get on with that at all.
Nora Roberts - I've never really got into her. I've read a few but not many and I know she is really popular. I'll have to give her a try.
Do you know CJ Barry?? I've just discovered her Sci Fi ones - enjoyed the first and bought another.
I still can't get enough of the regency romances of Julia Quinn and Cheryl Holt. Again - its the humour in them that appeals. Esp with Julia Quinn. I think in the historical books - you can get away with plots that can't easily be used in a contemporary but can't - eg Woman forced to marry against her will, man longs for woman but can't have her as she is from wrong social class etc etc

The martial arts books sound like heavy going. I do admire you Dawn for your perserverance. I need to read two books on Australia and New Zealand - preparatory to a visit next year - I'd rather read a love story!

Laurie said...

Sounds like a great list.

7 Habits is a classic. We've got the book in our self-help library at work, but I've yet to crack to the cover.

Dawn said...

My sister-in-law quotes from it all the time. She says it works. Hmm maybe not just for Karate but writing too???

Laurie said...

From what I know, the principles might well apply to writing, or more specifically, the discipline required relating to writing...which I need! :)

As for current reads, I'm working How to Lose an Extraterrestrial in 10 Days by Susan Grant. Engaging and entertaining so far, but due to real life issues, my reading time is sporadic right now.

I also have a "Priority Read" on the way--an ARC of an upcoming novel to be released in April that I'm dying to get my hands on. Not sure if it's politically correct to announce to the world what this novel is, but it's by one of my favorite authors. :) Review will follow soon.