Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Monday, November 3, 2008

How to deal with stress

Well for those who thought this was going to tell you how to deal with stress - sorry. I wish I had the answer. Maybe living on an isolated island - adequately supplied with food, water and books (and writing materials of course) would mean no stress. But wait - I couldn't go swimming - there might be sharks. If I stay on land - there might be maneating spiders and I want to be the only maneater around - assuming a decent hunk gets washed up. There would be no one to listen to my stories. No one to complain to. No son to pick up after. No daughter to console on the phone. Oh no, I'm stressed. I'm too expert at imagining problems to ever have a calm moment. Even stroking the dog is stressful - not my dog, he needs walking, feeding, playing with. Oh and that sad face - he always wants food and I have to say no. I've had my instructions.
Ohh I've had an epiphany - say NO. NO NO NO NO. I am not going to do your ironing, your washing, walk your dog, cook your meals, listen to you moan. I'm going to be selfish for the first time in my life and do what I want when I want.

Moment over. I'll just do the ironing and stick a brush up my backside to clean the kitchen floor while I'm at it.

3 comments:

Frances said...

Flick, the dirt will still be there tomorrow. *G*

Laurie said...

LOL Barbara. And all the reasons listed above is why we write. It's therapy. It's escapism. It keeps us from going postal.

Good luck. I know things are crazy for you right now. Hang in there.

Dawn said...

Or you could just pop the top off a wine cooler, sit back, put your feet up and watch re-runs of Supernatural.
:)