Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Friday, June 20, 2008

Great lines.

So, we all see them. We all think wow, that's clever or that's great. We've seen them in classics and not so classics. We've heard our favorite actors say them. "Frankly, Scarlet. I don't give a damn." or "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore." And a personal favorite--"It's been a long time since I smelled beautiful."

Or from novels, unforgetable words that send a shiver down our spines as in Ray Bradbury's 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'--"The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm."

How about the image this invokes? "In a galaxy far, far away..."

The point is, there are some lines you'll never forget. You hear them, read them and you know exactly what story they came from. An image instantly forms in your mind and you smile. I'm curious, what are your favorite lines?

3 comments:

Flick said...

I struggle to remember them, though I know I'm impressed at the time. They tend to be the opening sentences or the last of stories and just occasionally, there will be one in the middle. They tend to be the funny ones.The ones I laugh at in bed and husband says - what's so funny. When I read it out, he doesn't even laugh. Maybe it's me!
Susan Elizabeth Phillips has some great one liners as does Jennie Crusie.
But the ones that had the most impact on me might be spoilers - well they are spoilers! Sorry

Ransom by Jay McInerney
The blade entered diagonally between neck and shoulder, severing Ransom's spine.

I sobbed. I still sob. I couldn't believe it. Such a simple, straightforward matter of fact sentence and it was a bombshell.
The other line is in Skin Privilege by Karin Slaughter and I really can't give that one because she threatens disembowelment if anyone tells the ending. So I suppose that shows that it might be more the point in the story that has the impact for me and the line just fits to that.

Laurie said...

Ohh, fun subject. I have tons, but can I find or remember most of them right now? Prolly not.

Here's a few that popped into my mind or that I absconded from web sites or book blurbs.

“In my family, that’s not silence, it’s reloading.”

“Safe is relative.”

“Most girls get flowers or candy. I get a declaration of martial law.”

All from ARMED & MAGICAL by Lisa Shearin. I thought these lines were all classics uttered by the just-a-shade-this-side-of-the-law heroine, Raine Benares.

"You might want to sit down."

Opening line from GAMES OF COMMAND by Linnea Sinclair. It was an immediate "What's going on?" hook for me.

The thunderstorm appeared in front of the Boeing 747 without warning. At 33,000 feet on a calm, clear night over the Pacific Ocean three hours out of Honolulu International Airport, if should not have been there.

The opening two lines from CONTACT by Susan Grant. This created a wonderful, mysterious "chill factor" for me.

I'll have to go see if I can dig up a few more.

Heather said...

I've got a bad memory for lines right off the top of my head, but I do remember a phrase from George R.R. Martin's A GAME OF THRONES in the prologue that read "soft as sin" and boy did that ever hook me.