Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Friday, June 26, 2009

Play that again?

What makes you read a book twice? Do you ever??
I keep many of the books that I read. If I've enjoyed them, I don't want to let them go, though I have to admit I keep less and less these days but I suppose I keep them thinking that one day, I'd read them again. Generally I don't like to read things twice - I like a surprise- though with my memory I can get half way through sometimes before I realize I've read it a few months or years earlier. Oops. I even got stroppy with one poor author (only mentally) because I thought she'd pinched someone's idea and then I realized I'd read the damn book before.
But to deliberately choose to read a book twice - why would I do it?
Sometimes because I read it too fast to take in all the twists and turns. Maybe I'd read again because the book made me laugh - Jenny Crusie is the one for me.
Or I want a comfort read - Susan Elizabeth Phillips hits the spot. Re-reading thrillers or suspense stories seems of less interest. I might have loved them the first time around but if I already know the plot - I can't bring myself to read it again. Of course - according to my current husband - if I read them thoroughly in the first place, I wouldn't need to reread anything.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I can hardly keep up with my LEANING tower of TBR, so I rarely re-read anything. Except once in awhile when there's a book I haven't read in years (decades), I may give it another look. (Remember THE ICE PEOPLE? :)

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

I have the books I've read more than once and the other pile. I'll read them over and over and I horde them on my shelves like treasures. Even if I know the ending, I love the tale and can't get enough of it. To me it's like a classic movie, you can't watch it enough even though you know the lines, word for word.

Flick said...

I've just been brutal with my groaning bookshelves and outed books to take to the charity shops for resale. Mostly thrillers. I'm just not going to read them again, am I!

Peter said...

I really liked this book too. My book; True Love Is Not Common; www.eloquentbooks.com/TrueLoveIsNotCommon.html, has simlar main characters. I grew up reading this author. Hope my book one day will reach many readers as this author.