Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Stealing my books

I just had a google alert tell me that there's a site out there where people are looking to download my books for free. One person asked if anyone had books 1 and 3 in the Trueblood series, The Consolation Prize and Lightning in a Bottle. The latter isn't even out yet. A whole load of people said thanks for the links.
I've seen lots of authors tearing their hair out over this illegal file sharing - after all, it is stealing. We get little enough for the hours we've spent writing the stories so for people to download them for free is very annoying. Of course, I'm happy that people want to read them but it isn't as if they're expensive to buy.
The site I was told about is apparently impossible to stop, yet it's linked to Yahoo which I find amazing. I didn't want to register on the site - dire warnings of trojans and viruses etc - so I have no way to contact them and ask them not to do this.
I don't suppose any of those people who take my stories without paying, will read this, but if you do, please reconsider. You wouldn't help yourself to something in a store without paying - so why steal my stories?

1 comment:

Dawn said...

There's been a great deal of discussion about this with the RomVets as well. Just like illegal music downloads, it's almost impossible to stop.
The hours and work that goes into one book... we don't nearly get paid what you think we do.
Sigh.
It's not happened to me yet, but I can tell you, a lot of authors are seeing their stories stolen by such sites. If you go to one, or you know people who do, stop. It's stealing and a Federal offense.