Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Friday, December 7, 2007

Bah, humbug!

Christmas. Presents. Nightmare. I just popped out to buy awkward child a present he can take all the way to LA so he has something to open on Christmas Day at his girlfriend's parents' house. I had to forgo the usual rubbish I buy that makes us all laugh and get something respectable. A shirt. So exciting. But I made a HUGE mistake. I took my husband shopping. Well, he decided he'd come too when he saw me pick up the car keys. What should have been a quick trip took an hour because everything I picked up he objected to. I wouldn't mind so much but husband is no great shakes in the present buying department. Supermarket vouchers are par for the course. One year I got a set of dusters. Another year an electric drill. Well, you can guess who that was for. What usually happens is that every large purchase made after September, he says is for Christmas. New toaster. That's your Christmas present. New rug. Happy Christmas. I'd just love a real surprise one year. Never going to happen.
This year, I've bought him a night vision scope thingy. That's so he can watch the alligator in the lake at the back of our Florida home and not so he can spy on the neighbours. I bet he takes it back. (Particularly if he can't spy on the neighbours) It so hard to think of things he might like, but I somehow manage it. It's his birthday next week too, so I have double the problem. What do you get the man who has everything, including a wonderful wife?

3 comments:

Kimber An said...

You got a drill? Oh, I wish we had enough money to get me power tools for Christmas. That's what I really want, but I told HH a cheapo jewelry box from Wal-Mart would do. I'm just thankful to have a loving, faithful, hardworking husband who's helping me raise our children instead of taking off with a bimbo. And he's a great cook too!

Dawn said...

Hey, I got a rechargable drill and flashlight last year. One year, my romantic and cheap husband rescued the ugliest peice of furniture I've ever seen from a burn pile and presented it to me. Lovely. I fixed it up, and you know what? It wasn't half bad. Being an artist has its advantages. I agree with Kimber. He comes home to me every night, and has for the last 17 years. He works hard, and every now and then he surprises me with a pretty peice of jewelry. He keeps the teenagers in line too. What more could I ask for?

Flick said...

Jewelry!! Good grief. I can't even wear the wedding ring my husband gave me because it sent my finger green. Its only saving grace was that it weighed a ton so it hurt when I clipped him round the head.