Welcome. This blog was started three years ago by four aspiring writers who are now three published authors of novels and short stories (Barbara Elsborg, Dawn Jackson, Arlene Webb) and one multiple award-winning writer (Laurie Green). We blog to keep readers updated on our new releases or other random topics. We hope you enjoy your stay. :] Coffee?

Friday, October 12, 2007

A Book That Has Stuck With Me

While doing searches on Amazon the other day, this one popped up What a blast from the past. :)
I was a member of the Science Fiction Book Club when I was young and this was one of the selections. The story is riveting, and it's stuck with me for decades. In reading the reviews, many other readers have the same comment. It's haunting.
THE ICE PEOPLE by Rene Barjavel (and Charles Lam Markmann) is a Sci-Fi/Alternative History novel about an expedition to Antarctica that discovers a sphere buried in the ice. Buried in the ice...below the soil of the continent. They have to take a look at this! What they discover are two perfectly preserved humans--a male and a female--from a 900,000 year old civilization. The reader is taken back through time for a glimpse of this beautiful and exotic world through the stories of the female survivor.
This was a #1 Best-seller in France. I do have one warning. It has an ending that will shake you up. One you may never forget.

5 comments:

Flick said...

Haven't heard of this. I'll add it to my very long list of books I have to read.

Dawn said...

I will add this to my list as well.
Is this still in print or do I need to order it special?

Laurie said...

I'm quite sure it's out of print. You can occasionally find used ones on Amazon. I think there are several right now, and the prices vary.

I ordered one. :)

Goshabyn said...

Guys,
This is totally unfamiliar to me, but in high school in my little burg, you wouldn't have found french novels either. Probably not in our library either.

Flick said...

Well there is one copy on Amazon UK and it's about $40 plus postage so I won't be buying that.